Amy Gracia
West House
Topic: Independent Bakery Distribution
Essential Question: What is most important to running a successful bakery distribution company?

Sunday, May 8, 2011

2 hour Presentation Rough Draft

Sponge Activity
  • Some kind of teamwork activity. Later I will explain to them how it relatates to my answer good manager-employee relationship.
Introduction
  • What is most important to running a successful bakery distribution company?
    • Running your own bakery means you are the owner and you are handling all the finances and make all the decisions.
    • Success is making enough profit to live a leisurely life with a positivly veiwed business.
    • Bakery distribution company is selling your product to others, wheather it's store front or to other companies for resale.
  • I decided on owning your own bakery as my senior project topic because I want to own my own bakery one day. I thought this was the best opportunity to learn how to do it.
  • I'm going to explain the 3 answers I discovered to my essential question and after each one we'll see what you learned by doing an activity. Then i'll wrap it up by tellling you my best sources, and my product of my whole senior year journey.
Fondation
  • What it takes to be a baker.
    • Early mornings.
    • Patience with products. Making sure they come out right every time.
  • What it takes to be a bakery owner.
    • Also early mornings.
    • Helps to know yourself how to do every job in the bakery.
    • Management skills/knowledge--> financial decision making skills, understanding employees (explain more in detail later)
    • An owner needs high energy and passion for the business. A manager's attitude influences the attitude and performance of other employees.
Body
  • Answer 1: Manager-Employee Relationship and Customer Satisfaction
    • Communication between managers and their employees is important to meet all the bakery needs and reach success.
      • Prevent misunderstandings.
    • Empower employees. Offer them different job opportunities. Don’t try taking  on all the jobs, that’s the reason you hire employees.
      • By empowering employees, the employees gain the manager’s high energy and passion, increasing success. Employees feel valued and important, useful.
      • The whole staff is working together as a team striving for the goal of success.
    • Employees are happy and friendly and this leads to happy customers. The bakery is also kept clean with a welcoming environment. This image  of the bakery influences returning and potential customers. By ensuring customer satisfaction, sales will continue, maintaining bakery success.
    • Activity: 
  • Answer 2: Quality Product and Consistency 
    • Find strengths and weaknesses of employees. Success increases when employees strengths and weaknesses are identified.
    • Understand ingredients, tools and equipment and know how to properly and effectively use them. 
    • Quality product comes from using all natural ingredients and baking fresh everyday. Measure everything correctly. 
    • Quality product also comes from the display or packaging of the product. Appealing to the eye. Show students displays and packagings of products.
    • Activity: In groups have students arrange a small basket of baked goods. Not sure if it should be real products or something else. Provide them with ribbon baskets or bags etc. (?)
  • Answer 3: Execute effective Marketing Skills
    • Establish your target audience. You need to know who you are trying to sell your product to so you know whose attention you are trying to grab. 
      • Use surveys and city demographics. Companies that do it for you. 
    • Develop and keep business connections. They will help maintain business quality and performance by giving a competitive edge. 
      • When you product is being sold in another market it helps your own business because other people recognize your product. (Service learning)
    • Marketing Mix and 4 P's of Marketing.
    • Keep adding new something new.
      • It attracts new customers who were not interested in your current products and services.
      • It generates repeat sales from existing customers who also want to have your new product.
      • It enables you to get bigger sales by combining 2 or more items into special package offers.
    • Separate yourself from your competition. Signature product or specialty. Also putting coupons in different magazines for the community. 
    • Community involvement--->Farmer's markets.
    • Tools available. People/sources. It is their job to help you get research and market. 
    • Activity: Have students in groups "own their own bakery". They chose a one form of marketing i talk about (adding something new, signature product, coupon ad). Using one of the strategies they have to market their bakery. If they add something new they have to say what it is, why they chose it, how they think it will improve sales. If they have a signature product they have to say what it is, why they chose it, the different things that they offer with that specialty. (I don't know about this one. It's not that well thought out. 
Conclusion
  • My best answer is having a quality product and consistency. This is because if no one likes the product that you are selling then nothing else is going to matter. It needs to look and taste good each time the customer buys it. 
  • My most important sources were my service learning at Old Town Baking Co., Adam Bishop, Michael Peyton, and different articles from a website called Entrepreneur and U.S. Small Business Administration.
    • Adam and Michael were my 3rd and 4th interviews so i learned from them both directly and indirectly. They both basically lead me to my answers, but most of what I learned from them was keeping the customers happy and the relationships with other employees. 
    • At service learning I experienced the different things Adam and Michael were saying and this helped me better understand what they were talking about. I also learned by watching what different employees were doing around me. Example how to roll the dough, package bread, wrap a pie, help a customer.
    • Entrepreneur had different business articles, like 'Get Your Product to Market in Six Steps' by Tamara Monosoff. I liked her explanation of marketing and how you can be creative and there are endless possibilities. She said you are the best person to market your own product. Since i don't have my own business her explanation I felt i could still relate to it.
  • My product is the experience I got through my service learning. It was my first job and I experienced working with others in a work environment. Obviously I have worked in groups at school for the past 4 years, but the workforce is not entirely the same. I gained people skills by working the front counter and helping customers. I've gained problem solving skills from dealing with orders that were incorrect. 

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment