Amy Gracia
West House
Topic: Independent Bakery Distribution
Essential Question: What is most important to running a successful bakery distribution company?

Friday, May 13, 2011

Service Learning

Literal




• I went to service learning almost every Saturday for four hours from 8am-12. Second semester I completed 44 service learning hours and a total for the year of 100 hours. I continued packaging bread, occasionally rolled dough, covered pie, made cookie trays, and little tasks like sweep, clean windows and take out the trash. I got to experience working with customers and serving them at the register. 
• Michael Peyton/Adam Bishop- (909) 945-0400

Interpretive
The most important thing I gained from my time at the bakery has been the basic skills and knowledge to run a bakery. All my life I have been on the front side of the counter, but at my service learning I got to see what it is like on the other side. I learned simple techniques that I think effect their bakery's success that could later help me for my own bakery. I learned personal skills that I can use later in life, like how to greet customers so they want to come back, just by watching other employees. It was the personal experience of working with others in a work force environment that has had the most impact on me, that also helped me better understand and relate to my project. 


Applied
Working at my service learning and talking with the owners/manager, I not only discovered my answers, I proved them. I noticed the customers came back for the bakery's all natural, made fresh daily, hand rolled bread. This is a quality product to the bakery, as well as their customers. The customers expected this every time they came in. A lady brought to our attention bread she bought that had holes in it from the way it was baked. It was not only the quality that she wanted, proving that not only is quality important, but consistency as well. 
Majority of the employees were usually in good moods even though their work calls for early mornings and a lot of labor. The overall environment of the bakery was cheerful and everyone seemed to get along. I came to the conclusion that it is a result of how the management handles their relationship with their employees. Adam Bishop had told me he try's to keep his employees happy and meets with them each every month. He encourages them to come to him with any questions or concerns they might have. This open line of communication reflected positively with the relationship of employees and other employees. It also showed with the way they welcomed me.
Many customers that I wouldn't consider "regular" came in with coupon clippings from a magazine. The bakery uses this technique to market itself. I thought offering discounts was an effective way to attract new customers. It even encouraged the "regular" customers to buy more products in addition to what they usually buy. I also heard customers mention the bakery products at local farmers markets. Promotions and public events also attracted more customer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment